Saturday, November 30, 2013

Winter treat


Apple crisp

Apple crisp is my all time favorite fall and winter treat! I spent countless hours experimenting until I found my perfect balanced Gastroparesis friendly crisp!
I find that almost everything tastes better when cooked slowly and over medium/low temperatures and apples are no exception.
I took 6 large peeled apples and sliced them into a dry non stick frying pan, adding cinnamon, nutmeg and a 1tsp vanilla I let them simmer on low for close to 15 Minutes stiring occasionally. ( I add 1/2 cup raisins for the kids but pick mine out).
In a medium bowl I mixed 2 cups quick oats ( I find whole oats to difficult to digest), 1 cup almond meal, 2tbs cinnamon, 1tbs nutmeg, 2 tbs coconut sugar (optional) or 2 tbs maple syrup, and 1/4 a cup egg whites. I tossed the mixture until well Combined.
Pour the cooked apples into a baking dish and  topped it with the crisp. Bake 350 for about 30 minutes until bubbling and slightly brown- remove and enjoy!
The Apple Crisp does refrigerate well! 
Adding a few tablespoon of 0% Greek yogurt to a bowl of crips makes for a delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment