Sunday, January 26, 2014

Apple spice cake

I recently purchased Against all Grain's cookbook, it is amazing! It's truely clean, delicious, easy, healthy recipes. Her philosophy and ideas are in sync with my own. I wish more GP'ers would try her style of clean, gluten free eating. Eating fresh, clean and gluten free makes a tremendous difference in my daily life and managing this illness. 
I love baking and playing around with recipes and ideas. Her Apple Spice Cake ( at againstallgrains.com) popped out at me as a wonderful Sunday cake option. Go to her website and check out the original it looks incredible! I edited this recipe to make it GP friendly so I could enjoy it with my family. Thus far it seems to be sitting well with my digestion. I had 1/8 of the cake for mid day snack.

For the cake
2-1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
11/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup honey, melted
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup egg whites
4 crispy apples (recipe called for Gala) peeled, cored, sliced

For the cinnamon swirl
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon coconut sugar




- mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl, in a smaller bowl mix eggs, egg whites, melted honey, vanilla 
Add to dry ingredients  stir until well combined and fold in apples. 

Pour into a non stick round pie pan, I lightly sprayed mine with coconut oil cooking spray.
Mix cinnamon swirl in a small dish and spread out on top, using a toothpick swirl it into batter. 
Bake 350 until toothpick comes out clean, took mine 30 minutes. 
Let cool and enjoy!

Happy Sunday
-JVW

No comments:

Post a Comment