Monday, February 10, 2014

Eliminating sugar

We recently lost a dear friend to breast cancer. She was an incredible women and the most inspirational fighter! After her vigil my husband and I had a long drive home without our girls to discuss life, health and dealth. I know so much is random and uncontrollable but we stared discussing the small things we could control! Diet being key, we have always eaten well and limited any junk food. Our kids have never had soda and limited pre made cookies, chips, cereal etc... However things slowly accumulate over time. We decide to really reevaluate our pantry, fridge and freezer. 
Lucky for me the following day was a snowy one and I started fine tooth combing over all our products. I was floored by all the hidden sugar!!! In bread, bagels, organic mayo, organic ketchup, organic marinate, peanut butter, organic jelly, gluten free bread..... List was endless it was EVERYWHERE! As was some sneaky Gluten. 

After a big purge and a big reboot we were back on track. A trip to trader joes and a lot of label reading got us some new ketchup, mayo, peanut butter and jelly. We are all learning to live without a few favorite items and taking more time preparing our snacks. The house is stocked with healthy nuts, grains, flours, maple syrup, honey, spices, condiments, unsweetened plain yogurts, eggs, cheese, milk, orange juice, veggies and fruit. I also got some puffed millet and Kermut which are single ingredient items to replace cereal when homemade granola isn't desired. We made some homemade bagels and found delicious four  ingredient  bread from our local bakery, wheat, Yeast, water, salt= amazing! 

I have always been a from scratch cooker and baker but realized we had gotten lazy with our breakfast cereals and snack options. I feel so much better being back on track and keeping our food as local, organic, unprocessed, sugar free as possible. I know eating clean and simple is the easiest way for me to manage my gp and keep us all feeling great and healthy! 





-JVW

2 comments:

  1. Love this Jules!! I too have been super lazy with the kids snacks. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your continued support ! You are the best. Xx

    ReplyDelete